Also my hair falls out easily espacially in spring, fall and winter; it could be Toronto's weather and water; it could be because my scalp is also sensitive just like my skin. But I do notice my hair stop falling when I'm in Japan... when I searched online, I found out that Canada's water is very "hard", which means it contains lots minerals, which can cause hair loss... while Japan's water is very "soft".
Anyhow, basically my hair styling challenge is that I need to add lots volume in my hair but can't use too much products to irritate my scalp (i.e root lifting sprays!); I have found some good product over the years to add volume and is relatively gentle on the hair.
From left to right:
- Goody Ouchless comb, to use on wet hair for detangling; if you also have thin hair that tend to fall off, don't ever comb your hair with your fingers when it's wet!
- Goody blow drying brush 2 1/4", my favourite hair brush to add volume, because it actually doesnt pull my hair at all, unlike the thinner ones.
- Conair blow drying brush 1 1/4", to add curl while blow drying; like I said the thinner ones pull your hair a little harder; I stopped using it ever since I got a better alternation lol, which is the Ione blow dryer I will introduce later.
All I use is these 6 lol, in two different sizes of 1 3/4" and 1 1/2" . These don't harm your hair as much as the hot rollers, however they don't really create curls; they basically just add wave and volume. If anyone is interested, I can do a tutorial on them next time :)
Hair styling products
- Tresemme Tres Two ultra fine hair spray. The BEST hair sprey ever for natural hold! This was introduced by Ai and it has become my holy grail hair sprey too. It's super fine and has a rather ok hold considering how light it is; it makes your hair volumed without looking or feeling like you have hair sprey. Another plus is that it smells great! It has a very fresh and feminine smell~
- Tresemme Heat Tamer Spray. I use this prior to blow dryer and hot rollers; after a long time you do notice a difference. It's super light and leaves literally no weight; but the smell... I give it a 6, it has one of those typical hair product smell.
- Conair hot roller in 1 1/2". Nothing much to say except these are your common drug store hot rollers lol = = these are not perticular damaging, probably because I don't use them on my whole head daily and I always use a pretector; but I'v started to realise I need to invest on a good hot roller that is more gentle on my hair.
- Ione blow dryer; I got this in Japan and it's the BEST! It comes with 2 types of brush head, one for volume and one for adding curls; or you can use it with no brush head as a conventional blow dryer. I usually use the bottom brush head when I blow drying, believe or not, it's actually a lot faster than just blow drying with the conventional type. It has Normal and Hair care mode, so when I use the brushes I always set the power on Hair care, which supposed to reduce frizz while blow drying; I use the blow drying like how you would normally with a round brush: lift the roots, roll the brush and brush outwards to add volume. This awesome blow dryer shrinked my get ready time by at least 10 mins. I think you can find similar product made by Braun or order them online :>
I'm a big fan of hair wax! As anyone with flat thin hair should be! :p Japan doesn't make very good hair sprey :p but they do make the best hair wax! I think these should be easily found in Asian beauty stores; in Toronto that would be Pacific Mall for sure.
From left to right, soft to hard.
- Lucidol Perm Hair Wax (Loose Styling) as you can see it's a very liquidy texture basically like a thick serum; these are just for smoothing away frizz and flyaway. I have rather oily hair, so when I use them I just rub some on both hands and "smooth" my hair from top to bottom BARELY touching my hair. Otherwise you might end up with greasy looking hair.
- Mod's Hair wax (Airy Bob) The best hair wax for short~ medium hair in my opinion. It's not thick and easy to spread in hands, and does not leave the hair sticky or bulky; and it smells super nice!
- Lucidol Designing Pot (Smash Fixer) this wax is pretty good for adding volume and setting style; but I find it sticky... I completely abandoned it after Mod's Hair came out with the Airy Bob this summer lol.
- Foggia wax: apparently a classic item used by professionals; it is a pretty hard wax with almost no stickiness and is very mat. I find it a very average product in all aspects, volume, holding power, naturalness and smell; however as my hair is growing longer and longer I'm using this one more than the Airy Bob now... because my hair is not bob anymore! This is kind of a wax that does it all but all very average. lol
I dyed my hair to medium brown; and got bangs and new hair cut! This styling above is done by the salon for photoshoot for www.rasysa.com ... too many rollers lol! There is no way I have time to do all that on daily basis; I still like my own styling better! I used 2 velcro roller for top and 2 on each side :>
And~~~ I got short hair! Last winter :D
I loved my short bob!! And I dyed my hair to light brown. This styling is also done by the same salon; which I have tried to copy afterwards lol. I love how the bob cut made my hair so volumized and no hair falling off whatsoever when showering! :D Besides the cut is super face slimming!
The only thing with short hair is.... I completely look like a little boy without makeup!! > <
My own styling, not as poofy as what the salon did but much easier; I only use one velcro roller on each side and 2 on top to get this effect.
This is how it looks when the short bob grew longer; no trimming except for the bangs by myself. I actually like it too because it makes my face look smaller :D
I had the A-line bob cut with heavier bangs and dyed my hair lighter this summer; I liked it too but it's kind of annoying to style especialy I don't have so much time in the morning during school days; because I needed to use 2 more velcro rollers than before and hot rollers too.
I dyed my hair dark again this winter~ hoping to let my hair rest from dye jobs for a while; also I'm getting tired of light hair and dark hair seem to suit winter better. It was so weird to see myself having dark hair tho after almost 2 years lol~
My super boring hair right now!! Because I'm trying to grow my hair long again so I don't want to get it trimmed. I'm also trying to grow my bangs as you can tell from all my previous posts; my hair hasn't looked this boring for many years! > <